817-459-2889 / 972-539-2889

Modifying Child Custody:  Joint Custody vs. Full Custody

Child Custody Modification Lawyer

For specific advice regarding the legal issues you are facing,
contact our office for a free and
brief initial consultation.

We serve clients in:
• Tarrant County
• Dallas County
• Collin County
• Denton County
• Hood County
• Wise County
• Johnson County
• Parker County
• and all across the state of Texas

          Contact Information:


    In an effort to accommodate our
    clients, Mr. Rice utilizes satellite   
    conference facilities at the following
    locations by appointment only.

    Contact our office to schedule an      
    appointment at the location most
    convenient for you.

2000 E. Lamar Blvd.
Arlington, TX 76006

600 Airport Freeway
      Bedford, TX 76022

5430 LBJ Freeway
Dallas, TX 75240

1308 Teasley Lane
        Denton, TX 76205

* Flower Mound:
1013 Long Prairie Rd., Ste. 103
Flower Mound, TX 75022

        Fort Worth:
        5601 Bridge Street
        Fort Worth, TX 76112

        1701 West Northwest Hwy.
         Grapevine, TX 76051

5605 North MacArthur Blvd.
Irving, TX 75038

9500 Ray White Rd.
Keller, TX 76244

        401 E. Corporate Drive
        Lewisville, TX 75057

101 E. Park Blvd.
Plano, TX 75074

                          *Primary Office Location

Arlington - Fort Worth - Denton Child Custody Attorney

Although the Court considers the matter closed upon rendering a final decision in a divorce case or a suit affecting the parent child relationship, the Judge’s orders are not set in stone.

Changes in the circumstances surrounding the child, or a change in the income of a former spouse, can cause an existing final decree of divorce to no longer be appropriate for your current needs or that of your child.  If this is the case, you may have the option of petitioning the Court for a modification to the final orders.

The Court can modify the original orders, which were set-out in the decree, to provide for a decrease or increase in child support, to change visitation schedules, to change conservatorship from joint to sole, and to account for the changing needs of a child.

In order for the Court to make these changes you have to re-open the case by filing a Motion to Modify the existing orders with the Court.  Upon the filing of this motion, the Court will make the determination whether the original orders need to be altered.  Without going through this process, the original orders remain in full effect and must be followed by each party.  Do not make the mistake of relying on your ex-spouse to abide by an agreement that was made after your divorce was final.  All changes must be approved by the Court beforehand in order to be enforceable and to ensure you are not in violation of the orders of the Court.  

Enforcement of Texas Court Orders

In instances where one of the parties does not follow the orders of the Court in regard to visitation, child support, medical support, or other related matters, it becomes necessary to file an enforcement action with the Court.  The party that enforcement is sought against must appear before the Court, where Judge will determine what measures to take to ensure that the orders are followed.  The Court may hold the violator in contempt, confine the person to jail, assess a fine, or put the violating party on probation.  In most cases this is the only way the Court order will actually be enforced.  Many police and sheriff departments consider the violation of such orders a "civil matter" of which they have no jurisdiction to enforce.

If you find yourself in a situation where your ex-spouse is not honoring the order of the Court, contact our office to discuss your options.

At the Law Office of Russell S. Rice, our clients come first.

Website Builder